Friday, September 14, 2012

How To Speak And Be Heard By Everyone

When speaking to people whether in a social setting or business environment, how you speak is more often recognized than what you say.
When I was growing up my dad always said to me "Suzanne it's not what you say, it's how you say it".
For years I did not understand this. I had no idea I was speaking in any different manner than anyone else.

If you want your message heard you must speak the language of who your audience is. If it is one person, find the clues to how they hear, or interpret information. If it is many, include all modalities when sharing your message. Even if your message is telling a joke.
Oftentimes we want to discard someone because they are dry or boring. Or perhaps too overdramatic. More often than not, they just speak a different language. When we realize this, we become relatable to everyone.

Learn to recognize the language looking for a few clues in modalities:

How do they talk? Are they slow and precise? Quick and dramatic?

How do they reference information? Do they 'feel' like something is happening? Does it 'appear' something is happening? Do they 'see' how things are going to play out? Does it 'sound' to them like things are going to go a certain way..

Mirror back
If someone says:

" I feel like something is going to happen" you know they are speaking kinesthetically
" I see what's going on…" they are speaking visually
" It sounds to me like you are on a mission, this is auditory

These are 3 examples of modalities that are always used. How you incorporate them in conversation will make the difference between being heard and being dismissed.

If you are speaking with someone who is visual you will want to include language that they can see, so give examples of visuals that relate to your topic.

Same goes with kinesthetic and auditory. Use language that has them feeling or hearing that which you are trying to say. So rather than having them see the bright white sheets(visual), they will feel the softness on their skin (kinesthetic) or hear them whip in the wind as they hang outside to dry (auditory).

Mirroring also includes body language. Do as they do. But don't overdo.

- If they speak fast, you speak fast.
- If they speak slow, you slow down.
- If they speak with their hands, do the same.

You can complain if you want that that is 'just not you,' but my question then would be, wouldn't it be nice if someone took the time to understand your language?

—-

My name is Suzanne Jones. I am a Certified Hypnotherapist and a Writer. I have a bloghttp://www.pristineperception.com and write based on true experiences. I guide people through either Hypnotherapy or my Writing to regain personal and mental control of their lives. Just one degree of perception change is all it takes.

Photo credit



Read this article here

No comments: