Thursday, May 20, 2010

Foray Into Saddle Buying and Selling

Hey guys! I need your help. My saddle is no longer fitting Ace, and I need to sell it so that I can buy one that does ASAP.

One of the wonderful things about writing and reading blogs, is that I’ve come across people with a wonderful wealth of knowledge on all kinds of horse-related subjects. There are fantastic resources out there in the interwebs to educate and help us horse owners.

One of the topics that has really hit home is saddle fit, and how to tell if yours does. I’ve read articles and blogs and watched videos and poured over by step-by-step instructions to see if your saddle fits your horse. And based on a visual review and Ace’s willing attitude and ability to perform, mine was fine.

Then I noticed a few white hairs developing on the long slope of his ample wither last week.

I immediately stopped using my saddle and put plans in motion to sell it and get the new Stubben I was eyeing up at Equine Affaire. I’ve been starting to save towards a new saddle anyway, and if I can sell mine I’ll be set!

Stubben offers a free custom fitting session when you purchase your new saddle through them, so I am going to depend on their professional saddle-fitter to help me choose the best model and size for Ace and me – and make any flocking adjustments that are necessary. And of course I’ll blog the whole process – with pictures!

But before I can do that, I need to sell my saddle. I’m great at purchasing, but have never really tried to sell anything of real value. Do you have any tips to share on how best to go about selling your used saddle – and getting a decent price for it?

I’ve listed it on Craigslist and on eBay, for what seems a pretty fair price based on the condition and similar saddles. Check it out and let me know what you think. Or are you looking for a new jumping saddle? If so, let’s talk!



Read this article here

No comments: