Monday, October 12, 2009

Book Review: What difference do it make?

 

 

What Difference Do It Make?: Stories of Hope and Healing

This book offers a glimpse into the life of homeless people and the people who want to help them. It is a  rich resource for those who’ve never been around homeless people.  It allows one to get close without being there, and gives the reader the opportunity to sit with the story in the safety of their warm home  and decide what they would do in a similar situation and how they feel about what they are learning.

What difference do it make opens the door for the reader and allows them to ‘feel’ for these people, and story after story the assumptions we’ve grown to have are chipped away at and hopefully sprout a seed in our minds that the next time we see a homeless person, we may just act differently and think differently. Don’t assume, don’t judge and don’t think your acts of kindness can’t and won’t make a difference. They do need our help. They are worthy of our time.

I’ve lived in many cities. San Francisco, San Diego, Boston, Atlanta and Syracuse and I have worked in soup kitchens, sat next to homeless people in church, had homeless folk sleeping in my parking spot, become friendly with homeless people that I would see everyday on my way to work and actually wonder if they were ok when I didn’t. I would consider myself more familiar than most, but if I’m honest with myself I know that I am one of the “helpers”, not the “blessers”. I understand the distinction, and hope I can do more in the future. 

The array of emotion I felt while reading this was incredible. Gut wrenching at times and laughing, and happily surprised at others, I loved reading this. It’s infectious, for you can not possibly read the stories and be untouched by one if not by each. It is a wonderful tribute to his wife Deborah, a beautiful reconciling with his father and awakening for me. I will forever be touched.




No comments: